Sunday, December 16, 2012

What I'm thankful for: December 16

Today I'm thankful for...

Barbie!

Today is Barney and Barbie backlash day (seriously, I wish I kept track of where I found these things. That would make an entertaining blog on its own...). I know that there is a lot of criticism against Barbie for promoting unrealistic body standards to little girls and so on and so forth. I had a TON of Barbies growing up, and I never felt any pressure or unrealistic standards. I never even thought about it. I think sometimes people read too much into the most innocent things and twist them until you can't even play with Barbies without it being attributed to causing psychological damage. If I have a daughter, she'll get all of my old Barbies to play with. She may not like them or want to play with them, and that's okay, but I'm sure not going to scare her into thinking that she's supposed to look like a doll. God created everyone to look different, and we should be accepting of our bodies (but we should also treat them with respect and have healthy habits). I don't mean to turn this into any type of rant over something kind of silly, particularly with the events that happened on Friday, but I think children don't read into things like adults do, so let them be children and let them play as long as they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment